Wednesday, May 09, 2007

This case is CLOSED! (warning...long post ahead with heavy pic content)

Been a while since I've posted (a theme around here lately, I know), and as usual, there's much to post about but not much time to do it in.

So what has been going on? For starters, I've seen more contractors in the past few weeks than in all my years of living in this house. Went through a home inspection, which was more than an eye opener and revealed that there is much work to be done on this house. Once done, this house will probably have quite a lot more equity in it than what we are paying to fix it up.

In the process leading up to today, we have had more sickness around here than we did for the better part of the winter. Jonah came down with a stomach bug and used his sister's car seat as a puke bucket. Liam had the flu. Cliff got Liam's flu. I got Jonah's cold and Liam's flu. On the same day. The same day that baby came down with Liam's flu. While Cliff had to go to work to get stuff done for his Rome paper. It was not good. I was even too sick to craft. Next day? Cliff came down with the stomach flu, passed out at work, and ended up at the ER. All this while we're trying to get the last details of our loan stuff worked out. Thankfully, we're all getting better.

There's been knitting and, wait for it....crocheting. I haven't crocheted since I was pregnant with Liam, but I got bit by the ripple bug. Another one bites the dust. Here's my progress so far:

I went to last night's knit 'n' sip where we're working on mitered squares...another happening thing amongst the bloggers lately, it seems. Both are total stashbusters, and with the yarn diet I'm on, I need mindless knitting that uses up the stash.

I finished the second baby sock, but I've yet to get a picture of it. I still need to weave in the ends (big surprise), but I've tried them on the baby's feet, and they will fit for a while. I did, however, catch a couple of pictures of her today.

So the big news today was that we closed on the house...and we took possession tonight. It's now ours!! Last weekend, I went over and mowed the lawn, as it was becoming apparent that the sellers weren't going to do that before we got the keys, and I had visions of having to mow grass that was knee deep and soggy at the bottom because the water couldn't evaporate. Wouldn't you know, but the seller's realtor showed up and inquired about what we were doing. He didn't thank me for saving them money but instead complained about how I was a liability. We weren't in the house, just mowing the lawn, but after we left, he took the key out of the lock box.

So when we showed up this evening to take possession, there was no key, and our agent had to call to have them bring us a key, which cost us about an hour's worth of time. Once we got in, however, we ate our first meal in our first house! Funny how it tasted so good tonight (Mmm...Mexican). The boys settled right in. Liam climbed the tree in the front yard and was making granny shots on his new adjustable hoop. Jonah made himself right at home by taking off his shoes and shirt (he spared the neighbors the complete strip tease this time). I've already pulled down one of the ugly valances....and next time the rest of them are gone! My creative juices are already drooling at the prospect of all the crafting that can be done to make this place feel more like home.


Andi said...

I'm glad to hear the rough patches are over! My goodness! Love the ripple - lookin' good so far. Bravo again on the square too love the colors. Have fun decorating your new home.. how exciting!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick - It's been going around lately! Congrats on the new house! It sounds so exciting and I'm sure you've got your work cut out for you. Wanted to let you know, I didn't forget about your prize - things have been CRAZY around my house, and I'm hoping to get it to you sometime in the next week! Congrats on everything again!