Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Obladee Obladah

Post created Sept. 12...so a little while ago, but I thought you'd like to see my stash organization project...

Life has just been going on for the past week or so. Been trying to get caught up on things while at the same time not getting too far behind on others. The house is out of control (which is to be expected somewhat when the space is small and there are two small boys around), and I'm feeling the fall urge to purge.

The one thing that needed some serious attention was my yarn stash. Last April Fool's Day was "Flash Your Stash" Day, and I have to say, there were some stashes that I was quite envious of.
Mine has been languishing in the cedar chest downstairs for as long as I can remember now, and despite having gone through it several times and weeding out UFOs that will never be finished, my stash has never been neat or organized. Which means that when I'm looking to see if I have a particular yarn that will fit the substitution bill, I seem to come up short pretty frequently. Which means more stash enhancement. Which means more yarn in the chest.

So with Sock Wars looming and my having to find a DK weight yarn to use (ugh...and I'm finding that most of what I have is either acrylic or cotton/something not good for socks blends), I bit the bullet and forced myself to actually put some organization to the stash and the accoutrements to go along with it, as I have been having a hard time finding needles lately.

I apologize for all the rotten pictures with flash, but the downstairs is really just a nicely finished basement, so natural light doesn't really exist down there unless you're in the laundry room or the utility room.


I've noticed that most of my stash is actually worsted acrylic blends. Most likely because I have children, and I'm not good at washing wool. I do love to knit with wool, though. I've also realized that for as much as I enjoy knitting socks, I don't have nearly enough sock yarn.

One bag has projects to be frogged, but I don't own a swift or a ball winder, so doing that is kind of a daunting task. I also have plenty of work that needs to be finished. One of my resolutions that will need addressing some time.

No comments: