Saturday, April 08, 2006

Grinding it out

Oh, what a week! Got back to the routine on Monday with class, and I basically spent Monday through Thursday on campus in the library studying for Molecular. No fun to be had at all. So after not seeing anyone at all until Thursday afternoon, I took yesterday off. No studying to be had. Heck, I didn't even shower until midnight. I did, however, make some killer Spaghetti Delle Rocca that the kids refused to eat. Hubby, however, loved it, and said it tasted just like the Olive Garden's. They've stopped making it, so the only place he'll be able to get it is here at Momma's kitchen. Don't forget to tip the waitress.

Now that I'm through my Molecular test (think I did pretty well, but no way to tell if it's an A or a B yet...please, oh, please let it be an A...will depend on how generous he's feeling when he grades it), now I'm on to the MCAT which is two weeks from today. Ugh. Once that's done, I'm home free until finals. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. About one month to go and I'll be on summer break. Woot!

Though by the weather this week, you couldn't tell it is even spring. Like this:

Yes. That's snow. About an inch and a half of it on the ground earlier this week (it had already started to melt when I snapped this pic out our kitchen window). After near 70 the day before. Yesterday was pretty much the same scenario. Beautiful mid 60s during the day. Today? Low 40s/upper 30s. The kids can't stand it. At least the sky was clear today, so it looked so much more inviting outside than it really was.

So the kiddos went out this afternoon bundled in their winter coats (as was I...even wore a hat, which I never do). Pink cheeks abounded. Jonah rode his trusty beat-up trike, and Liam rode his new favorite wheels...his Razor scooter! I'm actually pretty amazed at how well he does on it. Braking is still a bit of a sore spot (sometimes literally), as he refuses to use the brake on the back wheel as it should be. He'd rather hop off while going at breakneck pace. At least I've managed to get them to both wear helmets.

Top: Liam braking his way. Bottom: Liam braking the proper way, though her is oblivious to the fact that he's doing that.

My flowers seem pretty oblivious to the polarity of the weather, and have continued their post-March march toward spring. All that were buds last week are now in full bloom. The only bulb yet to pop buds are the tulips, which I anticipate coming in the next week or two. The forsythia bushes (wish I had some!) blossomed overnight, and on the way to take Liam to school, there is yellow everywhere. If it isn't the forsythia, then it's a carpet of daffodils.




After dinner tonight, Liam had the sudden urge to get out his guitar. We bought the guitar for him for Christmas a year ago in the hopes that he might have some interest in learning. I noodle around on my own every once in a while, and I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to playing. I thought it would be great for us to play together. Previous to this, he has had his own idea of how his guitar should be played. He likes for the tuning pegs to be all aligned (which of course means the guitar is way out of tune), and there is no fingering of the frets for him. Just strumming on the out of key strings like a rock star. When we have tried to convince him to let us tune the guitar or show him a chord, he has been completely resistant.

I'm not sure why the change tonight, but I went with it. The guitar came with a great little CD that has lessons and tuning on it, so I popped it in, and he let me tune his guitar for him. I then tuned mine, and we worked on strumming with the beat. He played for nearly an hour, and when it was time to go to bed, he went without a peep. Coulda knocked me over with a feather. I promised him I'd play with him tomorrow, and I've decided to just go with the flow and let him take the lead. Here are baby and Mommie guitars:

Hopefully I'll get some knitting done and will be able to show you a nearly finished cardi. I'm almost to the armhole shaping on the sleeves. The end is in sight!! I'm already dreaming of what I want to knit next. Too many projects already on the needles that probably need finishing first.

No comments: