Thursday, October 19, 2006

Gettin' felt

Today's been a crafty kind of day. Thursday mornings are usually handwork group at Liam's school, and I wasn't really planning on going today on account of the frog in my throat, but at Jonah's insistence ("Can we go play in Ms. 'uhberta's room?"), and the fact that I had my knitting bag with me, I begrudgingly went. I really didn't get that much done, as I'd stopped by the school store and picked up a couple of books (Crafts through the Year, The Nature Corner, and The Children's Year), and I ended up thumbing through those most of the time. Mmmm....ideas, ideas....

I originally borrowed The Nature Corner from Liam's teacher so I could get some ideas for doing a nature table, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I picked up dark taupe-colored silk on sale at the craft store last weekend along with some chocolate colored silk (man, if I were good at sewing, I would so wear more silk), dried flowers, and a few gourds. I put them out on the top of the little bookshelf in our front room next to my little fountain, and Jonah helped add a few leaves. I also added Liam's felted shooting star for Michaelmas and a random hazelnut gnome (the green one I made today) I found that he'd helped make last year. There are two wheat grass wreaths. One Liam made in class, and one that I made in Parent/Child class with Jonah. The plan is to make more dolls and scenes for the nature table as the season progresses and have less store bought type things. I really need to hurry up and get a jump on the upcoming Advent season. But here's what we have so far:

I'd bought the materials a while ago to make dolls (some time early last spring), but nothing ever came to fruition. Today, I finished these:

The pink pocket pal is about 2 1/2" tall (not including the hat) and has a wool-wrapped wire body with wood beads for hands and feet, and His Highness is about 4" to the top of his crown and is a wooden doll pin covered in felt. Both patterns came from the book Feltcraft, which I bought at the same time as the felt.

And just to prove I'm still in Sock Wars, though my imminent demise has been forewarned by way of socks from the UK, here is a picture of what I've got so far of my Socks of Doom!

I really need to get these done, as my current target has already had to knit 3 pairs of socks, bless her heart!

I'm really feeling into making dolls right now and not so much on the knitting...not sure why. I need to sit down and priortize what I'd like to get done before the season really starts to change...the Children's Festival is coming at school, and I'm sure I'll have more inspiration and more things to make for that.

No comments: