Sunday, May 14, 2006

Love to all you momma's!

Mother's Day is one of my favorite holidays. Not because I might get to sleep in (though I chose not to this morning) or the boys make me breakfast or even because I get to do pretty much whatever I want that day. I love this holiday for the reminder (and I do need it occasionally) of how special it is to be a mom, and how it's the best job I ever got.

I think every mother has at one time or another proclaimed the "mother's curse" on her progeny. "I hope you have a (or more, depending on how angry she was) child just like you." While perhaps said in a fit of anger, what mom didn't know was that curse was really one of the best things that ever could have happened to me. I not only got one...but two children just like me (well in some ways, anyway), and they are the most precious gifts I've ever been given.

As a woman, I'm lucky that I get to bear children. Some women may not share my glee when I describe how wonderful pregnancy and birth can be, but I truly loved being pregnant. I loved my round shape, loved feeling that little life inside me rolling around, loved hearing the "tickita-tickita-tickita" of a little heartbeat through the stethescope.

When it came time to birth those two babies, I was in awe of my body's ability to work hard, to bring forth life, and once the babies were in my arms, I was so impressed that I could do that, not to mention being totally in love with those little things that had kicked me in the ribs for so long. Then I got to soak in their brand new smell, nurture them at my breast, and listen to them in their sleep. I still love their sleep sounds.

Every day after their birth has been an adventure. Getting to know who these little beings are, seeing their personalities develop, seeing the bits of me and the bits of Cliff, and loving every inch of them. They are free entertainment. The things they come up with, either in thought or action, sometimes boggles my mind. Part of why I started this blog was so I would have black and white reference to some of the things they've said, because the memory sometimes gets lost in the sieve that is my brain.

Needless to say, I have more respect now that I am a mother for every woman that has gone through this before me, including my own mother. I always thought I was close with my mom before I had kids, but I think my love for my own mother grew the day I became a mother myself. Because then I understood. It all made sense. All the things she used to say, how she always knew what was going on, even though I may not have said a word. And the look. You know the look. It could either be that disapproving look when I was about to do something I knew I wasn't supposed to or that look of pure adoration when I'd accomplished something.

So today on Mother's Day, I have to say I love you, Mom. Thanks for giving me the strength as a woman to do this sometimes very hard but oh-so-rewarding thing.

SouleMama is a daily read for all her beautiful things, and her Mother's Day Montage is no exception. It would take me a long time to go through all my photos and put one together of our family, but here are a couple pics that you all may not have seen in a while.

Pregnant with Liam

A 3-year-old Liam (how could you NOT love those feet!!)

Brand new Jonah


1 comment:

Andi said...

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!