Monday, March 12, 2007

One down....11 to go?

Over the weekend, I finished sewing up the doll bodies (with some help from my MIL...thanks!), making the doll heads, and covering the heads with skin fabric. Last night I took one of the heads and assembled a doll after making the pipe cleaner arms. I decided to embroider a face on this one, as I thought they looked better that way. So here's the final result for the root child:

Front view:

Side view:

Rear view:

Hanging onto a measuring stick (it measures 3 1/2 inches tall)

And with the bunny I finished last week for scale...big bunny, eh?
The body is made of cotton batik fabric. The body is stuffed with rice, and the arms are a pipe cleaner covered in wool. I sewed knit skin fabric over the ends for hands, and I used mohair for the hair. The pattern came from The Nature Corner. I still have 5 more root children to make, 6 flower children, 6 terry cloth teether dolls (which really just need assembling), Mother Nature, and more bunnies and sheep. Most of what is left to do is just the sewing together. The heads have all been made and the bodies cut and sewn, so the rest is just detail work. I was hoping to get it all done by today, but I must have been smoking something for thinking that was possible. Hopefully I'll finish by the end of the week, with time left before the auction.

1 comment:

Andi said...

Nice job. Really cute!