Thursday, February 09, 2006

Five and a half!!!

L. had his half-birthday celebration (since his birthday is in the summer) at school yesterday, and it was lovely. Ms. O asked me ahead of time to provide some background info on things that he may have done or learned in his first five years of life. It was difficult to pin down just a couple of things for 5 years' worth of time. It was overwhelming when I realized everything he's learned in such a short amount of time. Ms. O made a point to let us know that she was so pleased to read the things I wrote about our fine young man. I think one of my favorite memories is one of the things I wrote about his birth. In the hospital, I wouldn't let him sleep in the isolette, despite the fact that it was against the rules. I had spent so long waiting for him that I didn't want him to be even a few feet from me, cold and alone. I wanted him to still hear my heartbeat and feel my warmth. I wanted to smell the newness of him and feel like we were still two as one. Even at five and a half, he can come and climb in my lap and snuggle his head into my shoulder, and I still feel that connection.

The ceremony they had at the school was still as sweet as last year's. I can never remember the exact words of the story they tell, but the jist of it is that the child is in the heavens wishing for a family. The angels search the world looking for just the perfect family for the child. When they find the right one, the angels whisper to the parents that a child is coming. The parents to be prepare just the right things for the new baby. Then the child travels with the angels past the stars, past the moon, and over the rainbow bridge. On the other side, the parents wait to bring the new child into their family. The teacher leads the child around the class as she tells the story, and at the close, she leads the child over the "rainbow bridge," which is a small platform with steps on either side, to the waiting parents. L. was so serious about this task and so handsome in his crown and cape.

I provided peanut butter and jelly muffins for the snack, and they were well enjoyed by the children despite my leaving the baking powder out of the recipe by accident. I knew the recipe must call for baking powder, so I read the recipe through twice, and didn't see it before I added the wet to the dry. Apparently my reading cap wasn't on, as I read right over the part that called for 2.5 teaspoons of the stuff! As the muffins were rising in the oven, I kept thinking that the jelly was bubbling up an awful lot...and they were looking pretty flat! Ms. O likened them to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Just the right size for little fingers, she said...and get this...she asked for the recipe! I don't think I'll be leaving out the baking powder again any time soon.

As a part of the celebration, Ms. O suggested that I could make something for L.'s doll at school as a gift for his half-birthday. Not being one to pass up an opportunity to be crafty, I knit up a blankie for the doll out of some rainbow variegated yarn. It turned out lovely, and I failed to get a picture of it to post. I'm working on a pillow to go with it, so I'll post that when I get it finished. L. also received a gift from Ms. O, and I have to say that I'm more in love with it than he is!He has lovely mohair hair and a felt cape and crown. He's like the large wooden dolls they play with at school, only this one is all soft and stuffed with wool. I think he needs a queen...and a prince...and a princess... I'll have to get some skin fabric, gauze and wool for the head, but I have plenty of flannel.

So here is His Royal Highness King L. hanging on to his smaller twin while wearing his own crown studded with 5 large and 1 small jewels.
The doll also had a pouch in which there was a surprise....
Jewels!! Mr. J. could not be left out of the excitement and tried posing for the camera. I still have a hard time getting the digital to focus when Mr. Man is in motion, but I'll get it yet!

I never thought when I was thinking about blogging that I would have so much to say....but really, I do!! There's the play dates, the knitting that I've finished, being interviewed for a couple of articles, stuff with school...Wow!

This bunnie can hardly keep her eyes open, so I'm off to bed. "Messkimos" (J.'s way of saying Eskimo kisses) to all!

No comments: