Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Getting a little adventurous

Not sure what's up with my Liam, but he's getting really adventurous these days with trying new foods. At the grocery the other night he saw asparagus, which is in season at the moment and on sale. "Mom...what's that?" Asparagus, I say. "Can we get some?" Sure, I say, doubting highly that any will be tasted once cooked.

So last night I decided to steam up the asparagus for dinner. It got just a bit overdone due to craziness here (how the heck did women in the 50s watch the kids, cook dinner, and have a hot meal on the table by the time Dear got home, all the while wearing her pearls? Valium? Alcohol?), but I thought that actually might work in its favor with the crew. Just to play it safe, I made a little melted Velveeta to the side so the kids could drizzle it on top. Everything tastes better with a little cheese, right? (Not according to my mother-in-law...but we love her anyway. More cheese for us mice.) Liam flatly refused to have any cheese sauce on his. Took a healthy bite. Wrinkled up his nose. I figured, yup, that's it...it's coming back out. With the squinchy face, he says, "Mmm. This asparagus sure is good!" He finished most of the asparagus on his plate. You could've knocked me over with a feather. Then he tried to convince baby bro that he should eat his all gone too. Jonah, however, wasn't taking the bait. Broccoli, he'll do, but the asparagus, well, that was pushing it a bit too far.

Now, I'm not the hugest fan of asparagus. I like it cooked just so...has to be just tender but not mushy. Has to have a sauce to go with it. Plenty of seasoning and butter. But, with Liam being so adventurous, I made sure to eat mine till it was gone. Something about it reminds me of brussel sprouts. Has just a bit of bitter edge to it. The cheese made it more palatable.

All the spring fruits and veggies are making me dream of having a garden this year....Ok...off to bed to dream of that for a while.

No comments: