Sunday, March 26, 2006

A meme and a boy with his toy

My friend Kat sent me this in an email, and I thought I'd just post the answers here.

1. FIRST NAME? Jessica (bunnie is a nickname...a story for another time), but I always go by Jess.

2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? I was named after TV reporter Jessica Savage, who apparently was fairly well known in journalism around the time of my birth.

3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? Last week, when my son told me that we should recruit NASA to build new homes for Jamaican children.

4 DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Yes. When I have the time to print slowly.

5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? Hard salami.

6. KIDS? Liam and Jonah

7. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Most of the time!

8. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? Just this here blog. I've made many ill-fated attempts to try to keep a journal over the years, but I can't write as fast as I can type. I think I was always meant to keep a diary Doogie Howser style. Much easier to edit.

9. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? Never....Uh....yeah.

10. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes. But I'm missing my appendix.

11. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? Yes. And scream before, during, and after the jump.

12. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? It changes. Lately it's been Raisin Nut Bran mixed with Bran Chex. Oh, and Grape Nuts Trail Mix in my yogurt. Someone I live with and love very much has a bran addiction and is more regular than the 5 o'clock Metro.

13. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Most of the time. Tennis shoes not always.

14. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Yup. All except the upper body. Oh, you meant like constitutionally and emotionally? You bet. Being a mom makes you that way.

15. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Ooh. Do I have to have a favorite? Um....Depends on where it is from. Strickland's Vanilla or chocolate almond. Anything Breyer's chocolate. Oh, and orange sherbet.

16. SHOE SIZE? 9 1/2-10 depending on the shoe. It's grown since I was younger. Used to be a 9 until I got pregnant. My feet definitely grew through pregnancy.

17. RED OR PINK? Both. Red more than pink, because it's my power color. But I've recently started wearing a lot of pink. Something about having short hair makes me feel the need to prove my femininity.

18. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? My control issues.

19. WHOM DO YOU MISS THE MOST? My daddy.

20. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Sure!

21. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES YOU ARE WEARING? blue and orange plaid jammie bottoms and beat up slippers. My daytime apparel when I'm not at school. For school I usually wear flare jeans and brown leather slip on shoes with a chunky heel.

22. LAST THING YOU ATE? Homemade waffles, bacon, and scrambledy eggs with cheese.

23. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? David Gray.

24. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? blue-green like the water in Cancun.

25. FAVORITE SMELL? Brand new babies. My kid's milk breath when they were still nursing. I do like citrus, too.

26. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? My mom. She called me, but she really meant to call her mom. Like mother like daughter. I did the same thing to her not that long ago. I called her when I really meant to call my sister, and then I argued with her about her identity. "Sam?" "No, this is your mother." "No, it's not." "Yes, it is. I know who I am." This went on for another 30 seconds until the light finally went on.

27. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? Good sense of humor. Firm handshake. People who like to do rather than talk. Tolerance. A willingness to do what I want :)

28. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Absolutely. I miss her very much. Hi Kat!

29. FAVORITE DRINK? Fountain Diet Coke from McDonald's. It's the ice and the fizz, baby.

30. FAVORITE SPORT? To do? Triathlon or any sport therein. To watch? College Hoops in March.

31. HAIR COLOR? Medium brown with red highlights. I occasionally color my hair with Natural Instincts. No commitment that way.

32. EYE COLOR? Hazel. Green when I'm emotional. More brown when I'm sick or tired.

33. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Used to. My vision isn't bad enough to need them all the time. I do wear glasses to drive and see the blackboard at school. They give me a headache to wear when I'm doing up close work.

34. FAVORITE FOOD? Spicy Peanut Chicken from Pad Thai.

35. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Happy endings. Come on. I'm a mushy Pisces, after all.

36. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? Hmm...What Lies Beneath was on last night. A scary movie, but I watched because it was Michelle Pfeiffer and Harrison Ford.

37. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? Grey Indians Long-sleeved T. Not that I like the Indians. I just like big comfy T's.

38. SUMMER OR WINTER? Summer. Winter only for skiing and snow forts.

39. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs. Kisses for special people.

40. FAVORITE DESSERT? Cheesecake. Anything chocolate.

41. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? I haven't decided who to send it to yet!

42 LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Don't know...See #41.

43. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? Molecular Biology of the Gene. MCAT strategy. Organic Chemistry. Seriously. I haven't time for pleasure reading at the moment. I'd rather knit to unwind since I won't remember what I've read anyway. At least until school is done.

44. WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? Don't have one.

45. WHAT DID YOU WATCH LAST NIGHT ON TV? The movie listed above. College Basketball. I don't watch much TV.

46. FAVORITE SOUNDS? My children's laughter. Nature sounds, particularly water.

47. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Ooh...tough. They each have their own merits. I've seen the Stones, and I love me some Sympathy for the Devil. But the Beatles, well. You can't deny the power of the Fab 4.

48. THE FARTHEST YOU BEEN FROM HOME? Cancun.

49. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? Knitting. I like to think that I'm good at all the things I try to do.

50. WHEN AND WHERE WERE YOU BORN? February 24, 1976. Valparaiso, IN.

On other fronts, dinner on Friday night was great. It was nice for everyone I hang out with to see my family, and vice versa. We went to Hibachi Japan, which is a Japanese grill kind of place where they cook your food in front of you. I think out of everyone, Liam enjoyed the experience the most. What is it about kids that they know when they're "on." All the world's a stage, so the saying goes. My kids have this thing that when they know people are watching them or they feel on the spot, they like to throw themselves on the floor. Like, oops, gravity suddenly just got overwhelming, and I couldn't fight it anymore. Quite dramatic. So in line while we're waiting for our table, the boys were taking turns throwing themselves on the floor. Jonah between my legs, and Liam at his dad's feet. Luckily, my friends thought it was funny (the desired outcome the boys were intending, I'm sure), and no one got hurt.

When we got our table, I made a point of explaining to the kids that the chefs would be lighting things on fire. They usually do an onion volcano that they set ablaze, and they also spray oil on the grill and light it up when they first get started. It made quite the impression when they actually did it at our table. Liam was hesitant to try the crispy noodle soup, but once he did, he decided he really liked it. Jonah also loved the soup, and that was about all he would eat. Everything else had been cooked in soy sauce, and he decided he didn't like it, and would spit it back out onto his plate after a few chews. What he did like was the food tossing. The chef takes small bites of chicken and puts it on his spatula and then tosses it for the diners to catch in their open mouths. Everyone at the table took a turn. No one managed to catch. I think the chef was a bad tosser, personally. Jonah didn't get a chance, and he was quite disappointed. He pulled a piece of chicken off his plate, got down from his chair and started wandering off with it. When I asked him where he was going, he says, "Need to find the man so he can throw chicken at me." So I asked the chef to toss a piece of chicken for Jonah. Jonah climbed up in his chair, put his elbows on the table, and opened his mouth as widely as humanly possible. Definitely a Kodak moment, but I didn't have my camera. The chef tossed the chicken over Jonah's head, so he couldn't have caught even if he wanted to, but Jonah seemed happy that he at least got to take a turn. Liam declared that Hibachi was his new favorite restaurant on the way home, which is high rating coming from him.

Speaking of Liam, he has a new toy. In our quest to get the house clean and organized during spring break in the shortest amount of time, I thought I'd do well to get the kids involved. The best way to get them involved is to give them tools they enjoy using (which means they really work). I have a Euro-Pro Stick Shark that was an impulse purchase from a couple of years ago. I bought it for the purpose of daily cleaning because it's small, fairly lightweight, and could be more easily hidden than my larger vacuum. It kind of got ignored mostly because it does not have a very large capacity (and considering the fur tumbleweeds we have here, it just wasn't cutting it), and I got tired of dumping out the cup and cleaning it before the next use. I guess I'm a bag kind of girl. So it's been languishing in the utility room for a long time.

I had an epiphany and got the Stick Shark out yesterday after telling Liam he could have it as his very own vacuum cleaner. It's the perfect size for him, and it has a telescoping handle on it so we can adjust the size as he grows. It also has a detachable hose with a small crevice tool and dust brush. When I told him he could have it, you'd think that I'd just given him the winning Powerball ticket. He couldn't wait to start vacuuming, which helped, since before he was only bent on getting to the point where he could mop. Now he wants to vacuum so he can mop. He's been having a ball emptying the cup on it and switching it from the floor nozzle to the hose and back. As my mom said, "his first power tool."

No comments: