Friday, November 24, 2006

Braving the Black

After today, I think I could easily create a list of 100 reasons NOT to shop on the day after Thanksgiving. But I'm too tired from shopping to do that. Yeah, I'm nuts.

So I went through yesterday's Sunday-thickness paper and pulled out all the flyers, curious to see what all the hubbub about "doorbusters" sales and things was all about. I've been on the hunt for a memory foam mattress pad for the last couple of months now, and I keep waiting for them to go on sale (they're expensive, I think!) so I can snatch one in the hopes of getting a decent night's sleep these next few weeks. Most of the sales ended at 11 am, which, by the time I was looking at the papers, I'd have had to show up at the stores naked and unshowered if I wanted to get in on the savings. Probably not something the other shoppers would be interested in seeing.

K*hl's was actually having their sale till 1 pm, and they had a few things that were pretty fairly discounted...in particular, the mattress pad I was looking for. So I hit the showers (shopping no-no number one taken care of....) and got dressed (see, I can be civilized) to head up to the local store. I figured the one up the street from us wouldn't be all that busy, as it's not near the mall, and it's kind of on the outskirts of the next town over. Oh, how wrong I was.

When I hit the parking lot, I had to park in the back 40 and then hike a quarter mile to the door. Once inside, I noticed there was actually an employee directing traffic at the registers, and the line leading up to the check-out stretched around 3 sides of the perimeter of the store. As I walked past those waiting in line, I kept thinking to myself, "Do I really want to wait in this line? Is 60% off worth it for this thing?" Once I got to the bedding section and found what I was looking for, and there were only two of them left, I decided that perhaps it was worth it. I'd actually forgotten just how long the line really was by the time I grabbed the box and heaved myself to the waiting line. I actually waited for about 30 minutes to pay for my item, but I did get a pretty nice discount, and I even got a $10 coupon toward my next purchase in the next week (which might actually happen, as they've got some other things I was hoping to gift to others on sale). They were forced to extend their early bird hours an additional two hours due to the large crowd that showed up.

All in all, I did walk away with a deal, but I don't think I'll be doing that again unless I do my homework ahead of time and make sure I know exactly what I'm getting and for whom, and it better be really, really discounted, 'cause that was a zoo. As if I weren't dumb enough going in the first store, can you believe I actually went two other places just to browse, since this children were at Grandma's? Total insanity. This pregnancy thing is really affecting my brain, I think.

Happy Black Friday! Hope everyone found good deals!

No comments: